Things I Like

Thursday, August 29, 2002

#43 This Ain't No Picnic - My favorite music festival returns


The show, usually held on July 4th weekend at the Oak Canyon Ranch, has been M.I.A. since 1999. Rumor has it that promoters weren't able to find an appropriate headliner the past couple of years. Previous years hosted acts as Beck, Sonic Youth and Built to Spill with tons of smaller acts earlier in the day. These lesser known bands offer a great opportunity to be turned on to a bunch of new, interesting music. The thing I dig most about this fest is its modest size and mellow turn out. I'm over the huge moshing masses of Lollapalooza, but that doesn't mean I'm not down for engaging, inventive independent music in an outdoor setting.

This year the show will be held October 4; with the following tentative line-up; Jimmy Eat World, Guided By Voices, The Blonde Redhead, The Mars Volta, Les Savvy Fav, The Donnas, Z-Trip, The Von Bondies, El-p, Har Mar Superstar, Pretty Girls Make Graves, Moving Units, Recover, Your Enemies Friends, No Knife, The Kinison, Ruben's Accomplice, Mr. Lif and Wagner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home