Things I Like

Thursday, August 15, 2002

#33 Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door-The movie finally makes it to the states.


When my buddy downloaded a big, fat .mpg of the flick last year I made the difficult decision not to watch it. Months later I came really close to buying a pan and scan Chinese bootleg DVD, but also decided to wait. My patience paid off. Just last week the American Cinematheque screened the flick to a rabid (and extremely dorky—myself included) audience. Anybody who's watched the short but sweet 26-episode run of the show will be very satisfied by the feature film. The producers did a fine job of servicing every character and maintaining the tone of the show in this big screen offering. Geek confession: I actually got the chills the first time Spike broke out the Swordfish II.

At the screening a guy from Sony mentioned that every city the flick shows in will have both subtitled and dubbed prints in theaters, which is a move I'd like to see more anime importers make. Rumor has it that due to the increased popularity of Cowboy Bebop, thanks in part to the show's Cartoon Network airings, Sunrise may make another season. As much as I'd love to see more bounty hunting antics, part of me wants them to just leave well enough alone. We already have two perfect seasons and a great movie. Why get greedy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home