Things I Like

Monday, August 05, 2002

#29 Comic-Con International: San Diego - And All the Cool Things I Saw There.


What started as a small get-together of comic book nerds has become a Mecca of geek-culture where afficionados of every pop-culture aberration from model building to video games converge. The floor is so vast, and the selection so broad, that fans of every geek sub-group can find something that's up their alley.

Many things there caught my eye.The cute, yet perverted manga of Junko Mizuno drew such a deserved crowd. God Hates Cartoons—a DVD collecting animation from indy cartoonists such as Sam Henderson, Ivan Brunetti, Kaz, Tony Millionaire and Jim Woodring looked quite appealing. I was also drawn to Medicom's Tron and To-fu Head Kubricks, as well as new Cowboy Bebop merch, sculptures by Dave Cooper, original art by Los Bros Hernandez, plush from Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away and two new trade paperbacks from Fantagraphics' newest find, Jason. The latest edition of the video game zine 1-Up was unveiled as was a new book by Jon Pham. I'm lucky I escaped with any savings left, whatsoever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home